Going Into Business: Agency Contact List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

To assist people interested in going into business in the City of Davis, we have assembled the following information. It is not intended to be all-inclusive, but rather to be a helpful resource.

Not sure what permits/licenses you need?

For information about Davis businesses contact:
Davis Chamber of Commerce
604 3rd Street
Davis, CA, 95616
(530) 756-5160

Another source of information:
Small Business Administration
4990 Stock Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95820
(916) 635-9085
fax: (916 735-1717
Small Business Administration Resource Guide (PDF)

If the business is located in downtown Davis, contact:
Davis Downtown
826 Second Street
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 756-8763

For information regarding incorporating a business or other corporation requirements, contact:
Secretary of State
Corporate Filing Division

1500 11th Street #3
Sacramento, CA 95814
Attn: Business Filings
(916) 657-5448

To register “Fictitious Name” contact:
Yolo County Recorder’s Office
625 Court Street, Room 105
Woodland, CA 95695
(530) 666-8130

To obtain State Resale Permit Number contact:
State Board of Equalization
3321 Power Inn Road #210
Sacramento, CA 95826-3889
(916) 227-6700
(800) 400-7115

To obtain Federal Employer Identification Number:
Walk-in to pick up instructions
Internal Revenue Service
4330 Watt Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95821
(916) 974-5225
(800) 829-1040

To obtain State Employer Identification Number:
Employment Tax Office
3321 Power Inn Road, Suite 220
Sacramento, CA 95826
(888) 745-3886

If you have employees, you must purchase Worker’s Compensation Insurance, either through a private agent or:
State Plan
2450 Venture Oaks Way #500
Sacramento, CA 95865
(888) 782-8338

If business will be selling alcoholic beverages, a State Alcoholic Beverage License will be needed. Buyer must appear in person.

State of California
Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control

2400 Del Paso Road, #155
Sacramento, CA 95834
(916) 419-1319

Federal Tax Stamp Permit (No. 5630.5) is required:
Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

221 Main Street, Suite 1130
San Francisco, CA 94105
(800) 800-3855

Contractors are required to be licensed by the state. For information contact:
State Contractors Licensing Board
9821 Business Park Drive
Sacramento, CA 95827
P.O. Box 26000
Sacramento, CA 95826
(800) 321-3568

Businesses engaged in Auto Repair, Electronics and Appliance Repair, or Security and Investigative Services may be required to obtain a license. For further information call:
State and Consumer Services Agency
915 Capitol Mall, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 653-4090
(800) 952-5210

Businesses engaged in Importing or Exporting must contact:
U.S. Export Assistance Center
1410 Ethan Way #130 or #131
Sacramento, CA 95825
(916) 563-3200
(800) 872-8723


If exporting food, contact:
California Department of Food and Agriculture
California Agricultural Export Program

1220 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 654-0462

For other export information contact:
California Technology, Trade and Commerce Agency
917 7th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 498-5155

If business has to do with preparation or sale of food, contact:
Yolo County Environmental Health
292 W. Beamer Street
Woodland, CA 95695
(530) 666-8646

Landscape Maintenance/Gardeners who will be using any herbicides or insecticides must register with:
Yolo County Agricultural Commissioner
70 Cottonwood Street
Woodland, CA 95695
(530) 666-8140

For information about selling at the Davis Farmer’s Market contact:
Davis Farmer’s Market
Central Park - 4th & C Streets
Davis, CA 95616
P.O. Box 1813 - Davis, California 95617
(530) 756-1695

For information about security or parking permits contact:
City of Davis Police Department
2600 5th Street
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 747-5400

Other permits / licenses you may need?
Board of Barbering and Cosmetology:

Professional and some other specialty service fields may require a state license. Check in the government pages of the telephone book under California, State of, for your appropriate service.

For information about safety requirements contact:
City of Davis Fire Department
530 5th Street
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 757-5684

For information about building permits or remodeling contact:
City of Davis Community Development Department
23 Russell Blvd
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 757-5610

For information about signs and zoning contact:
City of Davis Community Development Department
23 Russell Blvd
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 757-5610

For information about Economic Development contact:
City of Davis City Manager's Office
23 Russell Blvd
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 757-5602

If business will be conducted on city sidewalks or streets, obtain an encroachment permit from:
City of Davis Public Works Department
1717 Fifth Street
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 757-5686

For information about sanitary sewer and storm water quality regulations and requirements contact:
City of Davis Public Works Department
23 Russell Boulevard
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 757-5686

A green business program that educates and encourages Davis businesses to operate in an environmentally friendly fashion. Gold, silver and bronze recognition is given to businesses that become certified as Green Partners.

City of Davis, Public Works Department - Partners for a Greener Davis

1717 - 5th Street
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 757-5686

Information concerning city Municipal codes in Davis may be accessed via the web site: www.cityofdavis.org/cmo/citycode

If your business will sell tobacco or tobacco products, you will need a city of Davis Tobacco Retail Permit.
Yolo County Health and Human Services Agency
Tobacco Prevention Program
25 N. Cottonwood Street
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: 530 666-8616
Fax: 530 666-3984

State of California for Taxi Drivers:
Check with the department of motor vehicle