The Building Division follows the procedure outlined below to process requests for duplication of copyrighted building plans. We are required by the California Health and Safety Code Sections 19850 – 19853 to notify any listed, certified, licensed, registered design professional who stamped and/or signed the plans, of your request by mailing a certified letter.
NOTE: We are prohibited by the H & S Code to release plans for banks or other financial institutions or public utilities.
1. You must come into our office to review the plans first.
2. Obtain authorization from the Property Owner (We will NOT release plans until permission is granted by the current property owner and listed certified, licensed, registered design professional who stamped and/or signed the plans) :
a. If you are the Property Owner and the Applicant, you will be asked to fill out the Affidavit Request for Duplication of Copyrighted Plans and get it notarized.
b. If you are NOT the Property Owner, you will be required to contact the Property Owner and have him/her fill out the Authorization of Agent to Act on Property Owner's Behalf. You must complete the Affidavit Request for Duplication of Copyrighted Plans, get it notarized and present those documents along with the Authorization of Agent to Act on Property Owner's Behalf. We will also accept a letter from the property owner giving you permission to request the plans, and for us to release them to you on their behalf.
c. For new property owners - please provide a copy of the recorded grant deed.
3. Submit all paperwork along with the required $140.00 Administrative Fee for each request.
4. We will process your request within 72 hours of submittal. The design professional has up to 30 days from the date the certified letter was mailed to respond to the request.
5. We will release the plans when all design professionals respond or when the 30 days are up, whichever comes first.
If you have additional questions, please contact our office at 530-757-5610 or at email@example.com