23 Russell Blvd Suite 2
Davis, CA 95616
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Cell emergencies on UCD campus
UC Davis Fire Dept
For a compilation of resource information and more information about neighbor relations, look online at Neighborhood Services
Code Compliance Hotline
Online Citizen Requests/Complaints
Affordable & Fair Housing
Parks & Recreation
Tipsy Taxi Safe Rides Program
Safe Party Initiative
UC Davis Local Government Relations
Follow these tips to be a responsible neighbor and tenant to avoid conflicts with neighbors or legal action:
- Maintain a clean and sanitary rental home. Do not damage the home. Never leave debris, furniture or vehicles on front lawns. Citations can be given for overgrown weeds, visible debris and/or abandoned vehicles in public view. City's visual blight ordinance (municipal code 23.01.030.9).
- Help keep Davis beautiful by putting waste where it belongs. The city recycles and has a compost program.
- If applicable, bring trash cans in from the curb after trash pick up. Trash is collected weekly. The city of Davis contracts with Recology Davis. Go to www.recology.com/recology-davis/ to find your trash day.
- Pay your rent on time. If you cannot pay when the rent is due, contact your landlord to explain the situation, and give a date when you can pay.
- Inform the property manager when anything needs to be repaired. It is best to hand-deliver a request in writing with a witness, or send it by certified mail. (Remember to keep a copy for yourself.) Keep accurate, organized records of all requests and transactions between you and your landlord.
- Obey the laws of your neighborhood and apartment complex. Every neighborhood is different. Make sure you understand any rules set by a homeowner's association in your area.
- Get to know your neighbors. Understand that neighbors who are not college students may not be on a student schedule.
- Notify your neighbors if you plan to have a gathering. They may respond better if you have built a relationship and given them notice. Avoid hosting social functions that may cause problems with neighbors and always comply with the City's noise ordinance (municipal code 24.05.010)
- Noise ordinance - it is a violation for any person to willfully make any noise which unreasonably disturbs the peace and quiet of any neighborhood. Violations are enforced by the Davis Police Department. Violators receive either a warning or citation. If the property is a rental, the violation and citations will be transmitted to the tenant. Fines for noise violations are: $100 for first citation, $200 for second citation, and $500 for the third and subsequent citations.
- Familiarize yourself with, and follow, the smoking control ordinance (municipal code 34) and the open container ordinance (municipal code 26.04)
- Do not engage in, or allow, any illegal activity.