23 Russell Blvd Suite 2
Davis, CA 95616
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Cell emergencies on UCD campus
UC Davis Fire Dept
For a compilation of resource information and more information about neighbor relations, look online at Neighborhood Services
Code Compliance Hotline
Online Citizen Requests/Complaints
Affordable & Fair Housing
Parks & Recreation
Tipsy Taxi Safe Rides Program
Safe Party Initiative
UC Davis Local Government Relations
COVID-19 Eviction Moratorium
In order to assist residents through the current COVID-19 situation, the City Council approved an ordinance at their March 24, 2020 meeting that establishes a temporary moratorium on eviction of residential and commercial tenants impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
During the period of local emergency declared in response to COVID-19, residential landlords may not initiate a no-fault eviction, unless immediately necessary because of a hazardous condition, which would not include any condition related to COVID-19.
Other provisions of the ordinance are:
- The tenant shall pay the portion of the rent, the tenant is able to pay.
- The tenant is not relieved of liability for unpaid rent, which the landlord may seek after the expiration of the local emergency.
- The tenant must pay back rent within six months of the expiration of the local emergency.
- The tenant must notify the landlord in writing of the tenant’s inability to submit documentation or pay full rent, due to impacts related to COVID-19, on or before 10 days following the date the documentation or rent is due.
- A tenant who is unable to pay full rent due to impacts related to COVID-19 must also provide documentation to support that claim within 30 days after the date that rent is due.
An Eviction Moratorium Form is available for tenants to fill out and provide written notification to their landlord.
Annual Rental Resources Fee Update
- Single Family (1-4 units) fees were billed on the January City Services Invoice. The fee listed on the bill is titled “Rental Resource Fee” and totals $60* which includes:
- $25 Single Family Business License fee. This fee has been charged to single family rental properties for years.
- $15 Single Family Rental Program fee (new)
- $20 Single Family Inspection Program fee (new) *This was not applied to exempted properties per the Ordinance.
All fees will be billed annually in January. A detailed explanation of the fees can be found below.
- Multi-family fees were included on the annual business license renewal invoice.
In March 2017, the City of Davis implemented a Rental Registration, Education and Inspection Program. It has been noted over the years that some residential rental units in Davis are substandard, over-crowded, and/or non-compliant with State and local laws. These substandard conditions can render the rental housing unit unfit or unsafe for human occupancy. They also compromise the integrity and residential quality of City neighborhoods.
With this program, the City intends to abate on-going nuisances and gain compliance with State and local laws relative to rental properties to ensure rental housing is maintained and meets minimum building, housing, fire and nuisance standards and is safe to occupy. The Program is intended to preserve and enhance the quality of life for residents living in rental housing, as well as the neighborhoods in which they reside. Landlords, tenants, neighbors and the city all play an important role in this community program.
The Rental Resources Program establishes a one-stop source for rental resources including the following components:
Resource website for landlords, tenants and neighbors.
Rental Property Registration
All single-family and multi-family rental properties are required to register with the City and designate a local contact within 50 miles of Davis.
The annual fee to cover costs associated with registration, education, and program services is:
- Single-family (1-4 units) per property fee $15.00
- Multi-family properties will pay on a graduated scale depending on the number of units. The fee listed is the total amount, not per unit.
5-10 Units $20
11-19 Units $50
20-49 Units $75
50+ Units $100
Rental Property Inspection Program
Single family rental properties (1 to 4 units) are required to participate in an inspection program to ensure they are safe and habitable. A sampling of single family rental properties will be inspected in any given year. The annual fee to cover costs associated with inspections is $20 per year, per single family rental unit.
Business License Fee
In addition to the fees above, there is an annual $25 Single Family Business License fee. This fee has been charged to single family rental properties for many years and is not a new charge.