7th Davis Neighbor’s Night Out (DNNO)
- Sunday, October 7th, 2012
The City of Davis, UC Davis and Associated Students of UC Davis (ASUCD) are planning the 7th Davis Neighbor's Night Out
Davis Neighbors’ Night Out is a celebration of our community. The event is an informal opportunity for neighborhoods to increase familiarity and communication among neighbors by way of a block party. This year’s event is scheduled for Sunday, October 7th to enable neighborhoods to include new or returning UC Davis students in the festivities. We believe that starting the academic year on a positive note will reduce the potential for misunderstandings or conflicts by opening lines of communication among all residents.
The first Davis Neighbors’ Night Out event in 2006 had 60 neighborhood block parties participating. We have since doubled that count with 123 block parties in 2011.
We are asking neighbors, neighborhood associations, Neighborhood Watch Liaisons, apartment complexes, and/or homeowner associations to be a “Party Sponsor”. The Party Sponsor will take the lead in setting up an activity such as a potluck dinner, BBQ, dessert party or ice cream social to give neighbors an opportunity to introduce themselves and exchange phone numbers for neighborhood watch lists or future neighborhood events.
If you sign up to host an event prior to September 7th, you can be entered into a lottery for a special guest to attend your event. Special guests, including the Mayor, Council members, UC Davis Chancellor and Provosts, ASUCD Senators, Police and Fire Departments, UCD Cal Aggie Band uh!, UCD Mascot Gunrock, and Unitrans historic London double decker buses will be visiting events.
We have heard from past party sponsors, that they would like more options available for invitations. This year, the National Association of Town Watch (Founders of Neighbors Night Out) has partnered with WhitePages. WhitePages is an online Invite & RSVP service that makes it easy to mail invitations to your DNNO event. Since the WhitePages database already has the names & addresses of your neighbors, you simply need to select who you'd like to invite, then customize your invitation. WhitePages will automatically send your postcard invite via First Class Mail for free, and will allow you to track RSVP's online.
Invitation Options Include:
- Email your neighbors, if you have a complete email list for your neighborhood
- WhitePages - http://neighbors.whitepages.com/nno
- Door hanger invitations or regular invitations that the sponsor would prepare and deliver to each house. Templates are available in the Documents section.
- City will prepare ½ page invitations or postcard invitations for mailing
- We request that the block parties take place in a common area to create a more welcoming feel and to make it easy to find the event for those who may be unfamiliar with the neighborhood.
- Be sure to invite everyone in your neighborhood. We encourage you to extend a personal invitation to those who may be new to the neighborhood.
- To accommodate individual neighborhood schedules, we ask each neighborhood to select the best time for their party between Noon-7 pm. When setting the party time, keep in mind, sunset on Oct. 7th is 6:41 pm, and it will start to get dark around 6 pm.
- Please sign up to be a Party Sponsor by September 21th. If you sign up after Sept. 21st, you will need to pick up your party packet from the Davis Police Department.
- Download an invitation you can personalize for your neighborhood
- Need assistance with invitations or have questions, please contact
- City Staff:
- Stacey Winton, 757-5661 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michele Reynolds, Police Dept. 747-5400, or email email@example.com
- UC Davis Staff:
- Gary Sandy, 754-2187, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Requires Update: No